Monday, September 29, 2008

My Cheap Mother Comes to Visit, Part II

My husband and I (both graduate students at the time) had just spent a significant amount of money treating my cheap mother to dinner (including a beverage). We wanted to go somewhere decent (not Wendy's), and we didn't mind spending a little money since my cheap mother was short on cash. Fortunately for us, she decided to treat us back to make up for her poor behavior of taking advantage of a couple of college students for a free meal. Since she was short on cash, she decided to cook for us. She went to the grocery store and purchased a large bag of egg noodles, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. All of these were generic, despite the higher quality brands being slightly more expensive. I know this because I went with her and said, "Mom, this higher quality bag of egg noodles only costs $.10 more than the generic bag, maybe we should get it." Little did I know that $.10 would be 2.5% of the cost of the entire meal.

The food may have been slightly gross and really cheap, but the story is priceless. Thanks mom!

No comments: